Monday, October 29

Where do you see yourself in 10 years

I've just finished my interview with my Personnel Manager for Brunei, Malaysia and Philippines geomarket. What I expected to be an "Oh-gawd-what-else-do-you-need-to-do-to-tick-off-your-objectives" session turned out to be quite pleasant. It totally changed my perception of this guy. Initial perception sumer I got from my boss and the Egyptian mafia (Personnel Manager's nickname) surprised me. He wants to chart my career path and actually sounded like he cared. Also wanted to know if I'd appreciate having at least one day in a week to work from home....to which I'd actually said no. I mean my work space is my work space, to bring work home...just doesn't sound right.
He asked me the cliche question "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"...and since I've been a Manager for quite a while, I'm getting good at eluding questions, I said, "Well, I can tell you where I don't want to be"
"I don't want to be an Ops Manager" and he said "Ooops!" BINGO, that's what they have planned for me obviously. I then told him, that I'm not ambitious, but if they provide me with the proper training, then I will consider, at the moment, I don't like managing things in my little segment, I certainly don't want to take on something that is 100 times greater..nope definitely not palatable to me.
We ended our discussion with an interesting question from him, "Would you have problems with relocating to South America, North America or Europe?" No one in this company asks a specific question like that. Definitely a loaded question...something is definitely brewing, and to top it all off, this guy didn't even know that he'd be losing me to another Schlumberger entity by end of the year.

16 comments:

Siti Khadijah said...

Yuz say yes! Bestnye kita boleh party kat Europe. Love the breads in EU.

Yuz said...

no, i have made it clear that i want to give the global account manager position a try, after which i'd be available to go to a country with a green or blue security level (SLB thing f coding countries) and with a british education.

Yuz said...

kakak, something else that i want to add, one becomes ops managers and such because they want to be ceos, vps etc..i just want to be happy

Matapena said...

Aiyo. You have an opportunity with the world's largest geo company to go places. And you said no (or at least that's what I think)?

And please elaborate on `losing me to another Slum entity' nih!

shopaholic and friends said...

yuzzie...bday bash pics plz..arghhh

yangfaz said...

Please choose Europe...we can visit ma..come to think of it South America pun best..never went there.

Yuz I thnk you must say yes to all the countrieslah senang.

We all should ask ourselves that Question...in 10 years time..where are you?

Yuz: Having been to Europe, Argentina and LA + 2 other additions to the family ( being out of Malaysia have more time for childen ....able to come back on time from work)

Kakak: Preparing for Haziman's wedding. Very busy cause Haziman ( famous photographer) getting married in Bandung!

Idah: Decided to sell off all her story books and Alwi's Audi TT and form her own rock band...

Adek: Retire and build a house in sawah padi....Kg Muar!

Matapena said...

Kak Adek, I seriously think you should blog. You have lots of time kan...

Me in 10 years - I will only be 45, so probably be doing the same things, just that I might be in Europe! Haha!

Yuz said...

ebi,
what to explain? i will be joining another schlum subsidiary by the end of the year.

Siti Khadijah said...

In 10 years I'l be 55 and close to retirement age. If the university atmosphere has changed I'll stay on. If not time to start my own spa with my own line of products..... Fancy having a bunga raya massage .......

Yuz said...

kakak,
don't forget the ping-pong massage.

Siti Khadijah said...

Dunno that one. Never try one loh. Right all different massages will be listed alphabetically.

Bunga Raya
Cat
Ping pong
Tiger
Milk with a difference

shopaholic and friends said...

eh ping pong massage tu bukan for men saja ka?

Matapena said...

Ha ha ha Kakak that would be something!

What about jhora massage where they will talk all through the session and de(stress) you further?

That would be something...

Yuz said...

yes, ping-pong massage definitely for men.

Matapena said...

Tell me about it

Anonymous said...

Yuz fo to Europe and we will come and visit you...yeah...yeah...