Tuesday, October 23

Building A Personal Success Foundation

One of the modules covered in my Bullet Proof Manager course for this month is Building A Personal Success Foundation. Zig Ziglar in his video highlighted a few key points, and this man has quite a nice way of putting things into perspective (you have to ignore his very southern drawl).

He listed about 6 foundation stones for success in a very apt way, if I may say so, but what I'd like to share with all of you is the fourth foundation (the first three most of you have already), that is to have faith and trust in yourself, in your country, in your company, and in what you're doing...I'd like to add one more to that, first and foremost you must have faith in Allah.

Then I realized that actually all these and more are already covered in our Rukun Iman, actually what's covered in Rukun Iman is more...

Beriman kepada Allah
Beriman kepada Malaikat
Beriman kepada Kitab
Beriman kepada Rasul
Beriman kepada Hari Kiamat
Beriman kepada Qada' dan Qadar

I am no ustazah, don't get me wrong, the only reason why I can still remember them is because I had to tutor Dania for her PKSR on Sunday. Anyways, if we stick to our Rukun Iman, everything else will naturally fall into place wouldn't it?

Anyways, the fifth foundation stone is love. That may mean that you do what is best for the person, not necessarily what that person wants you to do.

But the loveliest thing that I heard today is "Say no to the tears of the moment but yes to the laughter of a lifetime".

At the end of the session, I was asked to list down 2 people that I deem to be successful. I chose my father Abdul Aziz Mohd. Sultan as No. 1, because he possessed all 6 of the foundation stones, and no I am not jaded or biased, he truly does have all 6 of it. I have not met anyone like him at all, don't think that I can ever reach his level, but I can try. Zig Ziglar said that "Success is not measured by what you do compared to somebody else. Success is measured by comparing what you do to what you are capable of doing with your ability"...and that is how Papa has nurtured me, I realize that now when I think of how I used to drive myself insane in school cause I constantly pressured myself to be at par with my sisters, Kakak had already set such high standards you see. Jahat dia!! To be honest, Mama played a role at driving me insane as well, but Papa straighten me out when I failed Physics in Form 4. Kita mesti ukur baju padan dengan badan or something like that...

Tapi sejahat-jahat Kakak, I put her as my No. 2 choice.

10 comments:

Siti Khadijah said...

Yuz,

Me no 2. I'm touched. Where is the tissue. All these years while growing up Mama and Papa instilled in me that failure was not an option as I had to show a good example to my sisters. I guess they knew better. I'm happy to be the person I am today. I aspire for the best in life but I treasure and bersyukur with what I have.
Must share the good news. Yesterday I had a letter from the Kementerian Pengajian Tinggi requesting that I lead the team for internationalisation of Malaysian higher education. Today we had the meeting in Seri Pacific. Menteri To' Pa came and he actually knew me and that I'll be heading the international project. So nice to be honoured and recognised for a job well done :))

Yuz said...

Kakak, I am so proud of you...wow, that is an honour. But are you going for it? What about your sabatical?

dino dame said...

that is brilliant news kakak.i always thought that being a 'putu' in the family you are expected to set examples for the rest.

yuz,useful tips here.sometimes you can't help to compare yourself with others.to me,when i do that,i don't intend to prove i can be more successful.i take it as a challenge to better myself.but i also realise now that in doing so,i tend to do things beyond my capability.that's not the road to success isn't it?

Siti Khadijah said...

If it meant me foregoing my sabbatical I would have said no. But my main duty is more like a consultant, the architect as To' Pa put it. Implementation would be by the universities. Our group must set the Key Performance Indicators and what the international office got to do:)) My team will be To' Pa's brains for internationalisation. Hands and legs will be the international directors.

ewnict said...

wow. kakak..congratulations!!! kak yuz....i remembered getting constant pressure from mak & ba too during my uni days..."tengok kak yuz hang, gila2 happening dia blajaq tak tinggai"....err...ok, but really between classes and borsalino, and then kebudayaan...all the pementasan teater and nyanyian stuff...
it's amazing how you cope with everything.

Yuz said...

nani, even my dekan was quite concern with my extra-curricular activities. i danced to get income/extra money for everything else like downstairs, street one, etc. tapi zaman tu clubbing sumer free...tak kena cover charge pun.

Anonymous said...

recently I was surfing internet and suddenly I came across site named www.home-businessreviews.com I learned how to start my own home business and i was able after all quit my job where i was employed 1 year, now I'm making up to 5K USD month. I was able to make such kind of money because I read some really cool home based business reviews. At site named www.home-businessreviews.com

Anyway seems that site owner finally found winner home business program which helped him to start his own home business, so he finally decided to set up site and write about his own experience about earning money online. It seems that he lost thousands of dollars before he came across winner home based business program which actually helped to make money online. But which one? see at website below!
[url=http://www.home-businessreviews.com]home based business reviews[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon dudes. I'm really into shoes and I have been looking as far as something that exact make. The prices as regards the boots were all over 230 bucks everwhere. But definitively I found this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.